HANK ON THE ISSUES ›
National Security & Foreign Policy
What Hank has done:
- Played host to former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Thomas R. Pickering on Capitol Hill to discuss the path to a political settlement of the war in Afghanistan.
- Consistently opposed the Iraq War and supported removal of our forces from Iraq.
- As member of House Armed Services Committee, always voted to protect and support our Armed Forces.
- Cosponsored the successful legislation of the 9/11 Commission’s official recommendations.
- Introduced and passed a resolution officially calling upon the warring parties in Uganda, the government of the United States, and the international community to work to peacefully resolve that country’s brutal civil war.
- Voted to restrict “no-bid” defense contracts, by which politically-connected companies like Halliburton receive Pentagon contracts with no competition.
- Introduced legislation to establish a National Commission on Detainee Treatment to review United States policy regarding the capture, custody, treatment, judicial proceedings, and repatriation of suspected “unlawful enemy combatants.”
- Co-authored legislation to impose sanctions on Iran’s petroleum sector. It passed the House.
- Cosponsored the Iran Counter-Proliferation Act, which passed the House. It would sanction Iran for its failure to make good on its international legal commitments with regard to its clandestine nuclear program.
- Cosponsored the successful Darfur Accountability and Divestment Act, which states that it is U.S. policy to support state and local efforts to divest funds from, or restrict investments in, companies that conduct business operations in Sudan.
- Voted to increase U.S. funding for the global fight against diseases such as HIV/AIDS, TB, and malaria, which exacerbate global poverty, pose an international health risk, and undermine the stability of entire regions.
- Cosponsored H.R 1698, the Iran Ballistic Missiles and International Sanctions Enforcement Act to prevent Iran from undertaking any activity related to nuclear-capable ballistic missiles.
- Cosponsored H.Res.92, to condemn North Korea’s development of multiple intercontinental ballistic missiles.
Received an “A” on League of Conservation National Environmental Report Card. He believes: “Climate change is real and threatens our health, the environment, national security and our economy, and I’m committed to working with anyone on Capitol Hill or in the White House to invest in clean-energy technologies and jobs.”
Introduced the “Election Infrastructure and Security Promotion Act of 2016” (H.R. 6073) that requires the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) designate our voting systems as critical infrastructure and the “Election Integrity Act of 2016” (H.R. 6072). This will put a limitation on the purchasing of any new voting systems that do not provide durable voter-verified paper ballots.