HANK ON THE ISSUES ›
What Hank has done:
- Hank will fight the GOP at every step as they attempt to take access to affordable healthcare away from millions of Americans and stand his ground to protect consumers and empower everyone seeking affordable health insurance.
- As Southeast Regional Whip, Hank helped lead passage of President Obama’s historic health care reform legislation.
- As Chairman of the Judiciary Committee’s Competition Policy Subcommittee during the 111th Congress, co-authored provisions of the health care reform legislation in the House of Representatives that removed the insurance industry’s immunity to anti-trust regulation.
- Actively defended Georgia’s critical PeachCare children’s healthcare program.
- Voted for the successful bill that directs the federal government to negotiate lower Medicare drug prices with pharmaceutical companies, and urged Medicare to re-examine its specialty-tier drug system.
What Hank will do:
- Ensure that the health care reform legislation is implemented such that it protects consumers and empowers ordinary Americans seeking affordable health insurance.
- Continue to pursue additional funds for Georgia’s critical PeachCare program.
- Continue to support a public option to counter insurance industry price gouging.
- Introduced the “Neglected Infections of Impoverished Americans Act of 2011” – H.R. 528 – which would require Health and Human Services to report to Congress annually on the impact of parasitic diseases – mostly in poor, minority populations along the U.S.-Mexico border, the rural South, Appalachia and distressed urban areas – to address their threat and make funding recommendations on how to eradicate them.
- Continue to support investment in health care research.