Armed Services & Veterans' Affairs
What I Believe:
- The U.S. military is greatest fighting force in history, and the men and women who serve in it must be honored and amply rewarded — never neglected.
- We should always seek diplomatic solutions first, but we must maintain our capacity to defeat any enemy.
- American forces in harm’s way must receive all of the equipment necessary to safely achieve their objectives, regardless of legislators’ opposition to the broader war.
- Veterans are owed the best services and compensation for their bravery that can be offered by the United States.
- The House Armed Services Committee, on which I serve, must be accessible to all veterans and active duty personnel.
What I Have Done:
- Cosponsored the Dignified Treatment of Wounded Warriors Act, which passed both House and Senate. It will implement a comprehensive policy for the care and management of members of the Armed Forces who are undergoing treatment, recuperation, or therapy, are in medical hold or holdover status, or are otherwise on the temporary disability retired list for serious injury or illness.
- Cosponsored the Veterans Guaranteed Bonus Act of 2007, which passed the House. It will prevent the Department of Defense from breaking its promise to provide bonuses for members of the Armed Forces who are retired or separated for disability due to a combat-related injury.
- Cosponsored the SBA Veterans’ Programs Act of 2007, which passed the House. It expands the Small Business’ Administration outreach to and service of veteran entrepreneurs and business owners.
- Condemned and investigated the shameful treatment of wounded veterans at Walter Reed.
What I Will Do:
- From my post on the Armed Services Committee, call for increased funding of veterans’ services to ensure the highest level of care for those who have sacrificed for this country.
- Effectively oversee the activities of the Department of Defense and its contractors, as according to the Constitution’s Congressional mandate.
- Support the continued development of history’s finest military as it evolves to address future challenges.